Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Big Scout Project



Today is my wonderfully creative and entertaining, big sister's 50th birthday. (Happy Birthday, Jean!)

It's also the day that she launches her fabulous Big Scout Project, and invites everyone to join in and follow along on this marvelous adventure. (Please, click on that link and check this out!)

The geniuses for this project began when Jean found herself through unexpected circumstances alone on a beach with only her little dog Frieda to keep her company. Wanting to build a campfire, she soon realized that although she had been a Girl Scout years ago, she had no idea any more how to get those flames a-going.

After many unsuccessful tries, she finally did, and spent the rest of the evening pondering the stars and wondering what other bits of useful skills and knowledge she had forgotten, (or simply never learned) in the years from scout to grown-up. It was then and there that she determined to, one by one, go through and complete each badge requirement, and see if by the end of it she was a more well-rounded and capable individual.

In Jeans own words, this project is about "... a vehicle for those of us who’ve become so specialized in our work and what we do, that we’ve forgotten to explore other ideas and disciplines—or we’ve put them to the side for want of time. To put it another way, can we re-learn how to live a “wide” life?

It’ll be a tap on the shoulder to those of us who are perfectly fine within the confines of our own comfort zones, thank you very much—even though there’s that little voice inside that says maybe even a little change would do us some good.

And finally, it’ll be a reminder for all of us who just miss having the kind of fun we used to have – or should have had — when we were kids.
"

Wanting to be held accountable just like a real scout, she has selected three virtual team leaders, (of which I am one) to make sure that she has indeed done the requirements to earn each badge; along with a selected group of experts that will help teach and guide her on certain areas of expertise.

I personally am really excited about this, and think, under my sister's fun, enthusiastic and out-of-the box originality, it has the potential to be something great; encouraging us all us to reconnect with all the potential that we once held and still do!

15 comments:

Colleen MacDonald said...

That is fantastic! The magazine, "Mary Jane's Farm" might be interested in doing a story on this!

Marg said...

What an absolutely fabulous idea.

Fer said...

What a great idea!! Happy Birthday Jean!

connie said...

What fun. It will definatly give a new perspective on things. I was a girl scout and my son was a boy scout and they definatly learned more useful skills I thought. Maybe it was because I was not very dedicated. MMMMMM... Might have to try this also.

Hope all is well with you these days.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! I've clicked and it's just waiting for me to go there and become a scout once more. (2012 is just around the corner. lol)

Allie said...

Happy Birthday to Jean! I think this is a marvelous idea - I'm on my way to click over!

Carol E. said...

Fun!! Can I try, too? Will you be my troop leader?

natalie. beyond the reef said...

Great concept....living wide.
Thanks!

Kim said...

Another point of proof that us 50 somethings are bright and ready to learn........everything all over again.

Great project....will there be a camp out too?

Happy Sewing

Jackie said...

I don't think I could ever light a fire from nothing..I'd just perish!

Cheryl Arkison said...

What a very cool idea.

Hey Harriet said...

Love the idea of this! I'll pop in over there regularly to check on the progress of your sister! Congrats on your Team Leader role Vic :)

patty a. said...

I would love to join and and finish what I started. I was a girl scout and we never had the money to really persue some of the badges - I think I still have my sash around somewhere! Can I join in?

Unknown said...

Hello, beautiful (troop leading) sister, and thanks to all of you for your kind and enthusiastic support for the Big Scout Project! I've been amazed by the number of emails and requests I've gotten from people interested in joining the project to some degree or another, and I'm currently wrapping my head around how best to suggest a path forward. I'll be posting an update on this in the next few days on my BSP blog. Thank you all so much! -- Jean

Helene said...

Victoria, that sounds amazing! Very inspiring! I'm going to click on the link to see if a "girl" in her mid 50s living Down Under can participate too!