Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Pretty Pincushions


 It's been a while since I've made any pincushions for my Etsy shop
but over the years it's something I seem to go back to time and time again.



And with good reasons! They are super fun to make and can be made in so many different ways. 
Do a search of pincushions on Pinterest or Etsy sometime, 
you will be amazed at the variety and creativity! 
(You can see some of my past ones here.)

With my newly found interest in punch needle embroidery, 
it seemed like a great time to make some new pretty pincushions featuring this technique.



As of this post I have made these two and am working on a third. 


They each feature a center flower motif done in punch needle.


The motifs were then stitched onto a wool blend felt base,


and simple traditional embroidery stitches were used around the edges.




The two pincushions shown in this post can be found in my shop here and here.
Hope to be listing more soon.
(Once listed they can be found in my shop's Pincushion Section).

10 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

Wonderful! And mesmerizing, kind of like mandalas. I'll bet they'll be sold by the end of the week.

cauchy09 said...

whoa, V, these are spectacular!

dolores said...

They are too beautiful for pins!:)

That would be an awesome coaster too....of course then I would just hang it on the wall!!

Annemieke said...

Beatiful pincushions! I pinned them both and hope lots of people will visit your blog! They are art pieces in my opinion:)
Groetjes
Annemieke

Lois said...

I love the colours! Mini works of art - too good to stab with a pin! :)

Linda Evans said...

Those are heirloom pincushions!! Are they weighted? what do you stuff them with? I remember those old sawdust-filled tomato pincushions...tells you how old I am.

Victoria said...

Thanks to each of you, I am really happy with how these are turning out, glad you all like them, too!

Annemieko, thanks for the pins!

Linda, haha, I remember the sawdust pincushions, too! These are not weighted, simply filled with good quality fiberfil, as that seemed best for the method I used with the wool felt blend base.

I have made weighted pincushions before and use pulverized walnut shells, which work great and keep pins sharp. (The shells can be found in the reptile department of pet stores! Word of caution... shells shouldn't be used by people with nut allergies.)

I have been thinking of trying these with a cotton fabric base, and maybe if I do, I'll try using the walnut shells. (If you use the shells, it is also best to have a lining inside your pincushion.)

said...

Un encanto de trabajos, ¡felicidades!
Besos.

liz said...

I purchased one of these beauties for the friend who first got me interested in quilting. It is gorgeous!!

Victoria said...

Thanks Liz for the comment! So happy that you were pleased with the pincushion and I hope your quilting friend enjoys it!